Thursday, May 7, 2009

Karie Huzzey Interview ---

If you prefer to browse through the Q & A interview format, this is for you - Plus you might see a few extra tidbits of information about Karie. She is a fabulous, enthusiastic lady that makes you want to work harder and achieve more --- just to keep up with her!

1 -Karie is President of the Women in Business organization of North Utah County
Tell us about the organization
– Our organization was established April 2006 through the North Utah County Chambers of Commerce. Mountain America Credit Union has been our dedicated charter sponsor.
When was it organized? It’s function/purpose/goals? Our vision is to create relationships through networking, educate through topical seminars, mentor youth and support our local and regional charities.
When do you holding meetings/activities (for calendar)? Our organization holds a luncheon on the fourth Wednesday of every month. We meet at a variety of locations throughout North Utah County with the intention to support our local businesses. Our annual Women’s Business & Wellness Conference is coming up in May. We will be hosting this event at the Tahitian Noni Corporate Headquarters. We will have incredible speakers, a delicious lunch, give-aways and much more. We anticipate having over 350 women to attend this fabulous event! Feel free to email me at karieh@opsmanaged.com for more details.
How many members do you have? We currently have a little over 50 members. However it is not required to be a member to attend the luncheons. If you are interested in attending, please just come and enjoy yourself!
How do you become a member? Benefits/Costs of membership. If you are currently a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the cost of membership, annually is $20. For non-members the cost is $50. To become a member you can contact the American Fork or Lehi Chamber of Commerce.
How long have you belonged to the organization? Been president? My term as President is April 2008 to April 2009. However, I am proud to say that I had the opportunity to be involved with the organization when it was just a vision. The title “President” sounds great and everything, but this organization has so many incredible, talented and dedicated women involved that I am inspired to do my best because of their example.
Other women leading the organization? (any of them recommended for future interviews)
President Elect; Cookie Conrad, Business owner for Custom Tailoring
Lunch Coordinator; Rose Klingonsmith, Director of Lehi Chamber of Commerce
Lunch locations; Gayla Bell, Mountain America Credit Union
Speaker Coordinator; Amy Morgan, Morgan Law Firm
Treasurer; Debby Lauret, Director of American Fork Chamber of Commerce
Membership; Allison Yeager, Real Time Advertising

2 – Karie is VP of Sales & Marketing
How did you get to this point in your career? Hard work, hard work and more hard work!
Education? Previous positions leading to this? To most people’s surprise, I have no college education. I have my high school diploma and a vision of being the best salesperson on the planet! I have been involved in sales for a little over 5 years, what some might call a very short period of time. However, I have been in the business of developing relationships for over 20 years…and that is what has taken me to the next level in my career. I believe that by understanding my customer…..what my customers needs are, spending the necessary time to get to know them….earning their trust, and then delivering impeccable customer service, I will have the success I desire.
What are your responsibilities in your present position? I create, develop and implement both the sales and marketing strategy. I work with the inside/outside sales team on developing our existing customers, research and identify companies that need our services, and then create a strategy to approach these companies with a solution to their printing, manufacturing and distribution needs. As part of that research, I oversee the development of our website, company brochures….all the marketing materials used in marketing Elite Ops to our future customers.
How would you describe your leadership style? I lead by example. I do not expect my team do anything I am not willing to do.
How many women are in executive positions in your company? Anna Hainsworth, VP of Manufacturing
Insights about women executives in predominantly male dominated companies - I feel that because traditionally the man is the bread winner in the family, men have dominated the workforce in most industries. Times are changing and more and more women are realizing that they can have both a family and a successful career. Women owned businesses are the fastest growing minority in the US economy today. And more and more resources are being offered specifically to women owned businesses because of the impact they have on the economy.
How do women approach job responsibilities (sales/mgmt/etc) differently than men? I prefer not to separate by gender. I know that every individual has their strengths and weaknesses. How we choose to use our strengths and improve on our weaknesses is what sets us apart as a business professional.

3—Personal background
Where are you from?
Payson, Utah
What brought you here? Family? (Marital status, children, etc) I have been married for 16 years this August. I have four children, three girls and a boy.
What do you want people to know about you? I am just as aggressive in my personal life as I am in my professional life.
How would you describe yourself? I am someone who loves to live life.
What do you give up (for your career) in terms of social life? Family life? Working full time, I do sacrifice some family time. I miss being home when my children get home from school. However, I do feel that my knowledge and the experiences I gain from my career can also help my children learn life-long principals and develop additional skills.
4 – Insights
What do you think is necessary for success?
My version of success can be described in three words….Vision, passion and persistence. You have to have a vision, something you are striving for. You must have a passion for what you do. Without a vision, without passion, you won’t have the desire to be persistent. Life is full of set-backs…..passion is what keeps you moving forward.
How does success in the home compare to success in business? No difference what so ever. I apply the same principals. I try to learn about the people I surround myself with, including my children and husband.
Lesson (s) you have learned that every woman should know. Remember to devote time to yourself.
What are your priorities in life & how do you achieve balance? My family is my main priority. They are the reason I strive to be successful in my professional life. I want to be a good example to them, teach them what I learn and have the financial freedom to have the ability to travel and enjoy the time we spend together. Balancing both professional and personal can be very tricky at times. Thankfully I have a husband that fully supports me and we both share in the responsibilities of sick kids, doctors appointments, meetings with teachers, all the fun things that come along with kids.
How do you relax/renew? I love motorcycles, dirt bikes specifically. I have a passion for Motocross. All year round, if the weather will allow it, I am out riding with my family!
Why did you get into sales & Marketing? I never imagined myself as a salesperson. But over time as I worked for various companies I realized my strengths are with the customer. So I decided to learn how to use my natural ability to my advantage and the success I have had in my career is a byproduct of what I have learned and implemented.
Do you have any pet peeves? No. I try to be patient with others, as I am not perfect either.
Any favorite causes? I believe in service. That is what drives me to be a part of Women in Business. I am also a member of the American Fork Rotary Club. I have enjoyed all the service projects and fund raisers our club has been a part of. My favorite service project is the Backpack Attack. At the end of the school year we work with the local schools, elementary, junior and high schools, in gathering the back packs the kids would otherwise throw away. Once we have gathered the back packs we work with local businesses that have donated school supplies and we place these supplies in the back packs and ship them overseas to children who cannot always afford them. Even my children participate with this event.
Do you have a favorite quote or inspirational message? “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at time of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment